This article shows how to install RRAS on Windows server 2008 and does not go into the details of configuration of it. [more]
On Windows server 2008, we have to add the roles to the windows server and to install RRAS we will have to add the role Network Policy and Access Services to the server.
Here are the steps to install Remote and Routing service on Windows server 2008:
- Go to Server Manager, Add Roles
- On the ‘Add Roles Wizard’, the first page that you will see is Before you begin. That talks about the purpose of the wizard and things you should check before proceeding further. Click Next
- Second page is Select Server roles, that has all the roles listed. Check the option Network Policy and Access Services. Click Next to proceed.
- Next page gives you a brief introduction to Network Policy and Access Services. Go through it and click Next.
- Now, we have the page where all the Role services are listed. They are:
- Network Policy Server
- Routing and Remote Services
- Health and Registratin Auhority
- Host Credential Authorization Protocol
- Check the option Routing and Remote Services with Remote Access Services and Routing Checked! Click Next.
- Next page confirms what you have selected. It should be showing Network Policy and Access Services. Click on INSTALL button. It should start installing the roles immidiately.
- Once completed, it will ask you to close the wizard. You might get a warning message after installation. That could be because ‘Routing and Remote Access’ service is Disabled.
Go to Services Control Manager console (services.msc) and go to the properties of ‘Routing and Remote’ service and change the status to Automatic and start it.
- Once you start the service, you should be good to congfigure it. It should be available under Administrative tools.